The National Association for Music Education (nafme.org) has developed Music Education Standards for elementary age students. These standards will guide the curriculum and assessment for Music. Students will work toward developmentally appropriate music proficiency by:
- Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines.
- Evaluating music and music performances.
- Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments.
- Listening to, analyzing, and describing music.
- Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
- Reading and notating music.
- Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
- Understanding music in relation to history and culture.
- Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.